Advocacy is an important means of promoting health equity
Reducing health inequalities and moving towards health equity requires concerted action on the social determinants of health. Yet despite a wealth of evidence showing associations between various factors and health, action has to much of an extent been limited or seemingly ineffectual at reducing health inequalities. Advocacy for health equity is therefore an important area to develop further, enabling motivating evidence and arguments to be delivered to different audiences.
EuroHealthNet led a systematic review of the academic and the grey literature, organised an expert workshop on advocacy, co-ordinated an EU-level mapping exercise alongside its partners (Eurochild, Business in the Community and the European Anti-Poverty Network), and helped test the findings of this work in five case studies across Europe examining past instances of advocacy.
- Farrer, L., Marinetti, C., Kuipers, Y. & Costongs, C. (2015). Advocacy for health equity: A synthesis review (Milbank Quarterly, in press).
- Also online: DRIVERS Advocacy for health equity toolkit.
Case studies and developing recommendations for policy, research and practice
This final stage of DRIVERS involved conducting 19 case studies with Third Parties in the project across Europe, concentrating on early child development, fair employment, income & social protection, and advocacy for health equity. Case studies used a variety (of mostly qualitative) methods, and investigated links between the DRIVERS and health inequalities in terms of practices and implementation. Overseen by scientific partners, each case study produced a report, which was then analysed and synthesised per area, and then reported in a final case studies report.
The very final stage of the project involved developing recommendations from all of the preceding work, preparing concise policy briefs, and organising final events aimed at researchers, practitioners, and policy makers.
- Goldblatt P, Siegrist J, Lundberg O, Marinetti C, Farrer L & Costongs C (2015). Improving health equity through action across the life course: Summary of evidence and recommendations from the DRIVERS project. (See also: Annex A, Annex B & Annex C).
- Morrison J, Goldblatt P (eds.) (2015). Final case studies report: Drivers for health equity.
- Morrison J, Goldblatt P, Pikhart H, Ruiz M (2015). Early child development: Report on case studies.
- Siegrist J, Montano D, Hoven H (2015). Case studies on selected return-to-work services for persons with disability and social disadvantages.
- McHardy F, Lundberg, O (2015). Report on income and social protection for the EU DRIVERS project: Synthesis of case study evidence compiled by European Anti-Poverty Network.
- Farrer L, Marinetti C (2015). Advocacy for health equity: Case studies synthesis report.